Top 10 Screen Recorder for Mac
When most people hear the words screen recorder and Mac strung together, their immediate thought is QuickTime. After all, it is a free tool that comes with your Mac and quite handy in screen recording. But we all get these projects that require a little bit extra, and QuickTime simply doesn’t cut it. Perhaps you are recording a how-to video that has a lot of annotations or requires editing that is outside the scope for QuickTime to handle.
In this case, you quite literally need the best desktop screen recorder Mac can handle. Luckily there are very many screen recorder for Mac free and paid, and in this article, we will outline 10 of the best screen recorder for MacOS.
Apowersoft presents one of the most intuitive screen recorders in the business with features that are unmatched by many other Mac OS X screen recorder. Despite the feature-rich interface, it is easy enough to use that you will not lose your way, trying to navigate from one part of the program to the other. It also offers a wide range of customizations to ensure that your screen recording will be as you desire it to be.
- You can choose to capture the whole screen or just a small section it
- It also allows for the recording of audio which is easily synchronized with the video
- You can also record the webcam and screen at the same time
- It supports a wide range of formats including MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV
ScreenFlow is a professional grade screen recording and editing suite that comes with features to rival any similar tools. It also has a very simple user interface that is almost self-explanatory in spite of the rich features. ScreenFlow has a feature that most other tools lack; the ability to record the Mac screen as well as a connected iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. It also has numerous effects and transitions that you can use to further enhance the quality of the video.
- It has a built-in editing suite
- You can record the screen of any connected iOS device
- Numerous effects make customization of the recording easier and fun
If you have been doing screen recordings on Mac for a while, then you may already be familiar with Camtasia and its ever-impressive arsenal of tools. This is one of the most consistent video editing tools that is probably is the best in the business. But as feature-rich as Camtasia is, users have complained that it can be difficult to use. There is certainly a learning curve when it comes to video editing, but the recording features can be very easy to access and use.
- Once you get over the learning curve, the editing suite allows for easier and smooth editing to create ax work of art
- The interface it pleasing
- The recording feature is very easy to control
- You can use it to turn a short video into a Gif
This is one of the most cost-effective video recording tools for macOS we could find. It may not have as many features as Camtasia or even most of the tools on this list, but Movavi will make the screen recording experience a pleasant one for you. It is the ideal tool to choose when your project doesn’t require a lot of input, but you still want it to look professional.
- It is affordable at $59.99
- You can adjust the settings in numerous ways
- You can schedule a recording
- You can choose to capture a specified area or the whole screen
This is a tool that you don’t even have to install on your computer to use as a screen recorder. That’s because it is available online, and it is completely free to use. You will however, have to install its “launcher” on your computer to use. It works much the same way as conferencing software like GoToMeeting and just as simple to use.
- You don’t install any software on your computer
- The free version allows you to record up to 15 minutes of video in 720p
- Editing, annotation features, and audio recording are available with the premium plan
QuickTime is the best free OSX screen recorder Even though you may already know about this one, this list would still be incomplete without it. It is completely free yet feature-rich and very easy to use. Plus, you can use to record the screen on a connected iPhone or iPad.
- Its user interface is so easy to use, anyone can use it
- It does have some editing capabilities, but very limited
- It can be used to record the screen on your iPhone or iPad
This is a free screen recording program that has features you will only find on a premium program. While you might find it very useful in capturing high-quality video and audio and even streaming live videos, it is one of the hardest tools to use. The interface is pleasant, but it may not be suitable for the average user.
- It offers professional-level video and audio recording
- Comes with an in-built editing suite
- You can choose to record the whole screen or just a section
- You can tweak the settings even while recording the video
This tool may lack all the editing capabilities of OBS or Camtasia, but it is just and reliable and able to capture video and audio in very high quality. It is also much easier to use than then former or most of the other tools on this list. Its post-recording features are mostly geared towards annotation, so don’t expect a wide array of options when it comes to editing.
- You can record both the screen and the webcam at the same time
- It records video and audio in superb quality
- The user interface is perhaps the best we have found
If all you want a basic tool that doesn’t have all the complicated bells and whistles but still records your screen, then Monosnap is the best tool for the job. It is probably one of the easiest tools to use since once you install it, its tools will appear in the status bar, easy to reach when you need to record the screen. It is free to install, but you may have to pay to access some features.
- It has customizable hotkeys to make the recording process even easier
- It can record both video and audio
DemoCreator is one of the best screen recorders in the market, particularly if you want to record gameplay. It is built for the solid purpose of recording the screen and its editing tools are all geared towards making the final recording something you can be proud of. Despite the features, this tool is very easy to use, allowing you to cut and trim sections of the video like a pro even if you’re a beginner.
- You can use it to record the screen and webcam at the same time
- It can record up to 120 FPS
- It captures high-quality audio very easily
- Has built-in video editing tools that are easy to use and very effective
To show you how easy it is to use Filmora Scrn to record the screen on Mac, the following is a simple tutorial;
Step 1: Install DemoCreator on to your Mac. Once the installation is complete, open the program and adjust the settings in the Setup screen. You can adjust the screen settings, audio settings, and the camera settings depending on the project you’re working.
Step 2: When you’re ready, click on “Capture” and then click on the red “Record” button to begin the recording.
Step 3: To finish the recording, you can click on the red button again or the pause button. The recorded video will be available on your computer.
It can be difficult to find the best screen video recorder for OSX. There are two things you can keep in mind that will make the process easier, though; the scope of the project you are working on and your knowledge of how to use screen recording software. For example, if you need a professional quality video, but you have never used a screen recorder before, it may be a good idea to go with a tool like DemoCreator rather than OBS or Camtasia. Choose your preferred tool and share your thoughts with us in the comments section.