Create Self-introduction Video for Job Interview
In a crowded job market, your resume needs to be head and shoulders above all others if you have a chance of landing your dream. So, while it may not be a requirement in most job markets, more and more people are choosing to include video introductions of themselves as part of their resume. The engaging nature of video guarantees that you will leave a lasting impression in your prospective employer, thereby increasing the chances that you will get at least a call back if not the job.
But just like every other aspect of your resume, your self-introduction video needs to put the best “you” forward. This means that the content must be relevant, but also that the production must be stellar. You cannot expect a prospective employer to watch the video to completion regardless of the length if the quality is less than perfect.
If it is your first time crating a self-introduction video or you want to improve on the one you have already created, this article will prove very useful to you. In it, we will share with you the best tool to create a self-introduction video and the best content to include in the video.
Before you can even worry about the content to include in your introductory video, it is vital that you choose the right way to make the video. While there are very many tools that you could use to create the video, only one guarantees that you will be able to shoot the video the quality you desire and then edit the video to get the best version. This tool is DemoCreator Screen Recorder and the following are some of the features that make it the ideal solution;
- It allows you to capture the best quality video and sound from your webcam as the video’s starting point
- The video can be captured uniquely, using frame rate settings that you can configure to your liking
- You can then use numerous and very easy to use editing tools to edit the video to get it just right
- It is so easy to use, you can do all that in just 3 simple steps.
To use DemoCreator to make a self-introduction video, follow these simple steps;
Step 1: Download and Install the Program
Begin by installing the program on to your computer. Download the installer to your computer and then double-click on it to begin the installation process.
When the process is complete, simply double-click on the program’s icon to open the program to begin recording the video.
Step 2: Configure the Settings
In the program’s main window, click on “Capture” to select this option and since we will be using the webcam to record the video, you need to only configure the “Audio” and “Camera” settings.
Click on the “Audio” tab and then make sure that “Capture” is selected in the “Microphone” section. You should also make sure that “Don’t Capture” is selected in the “Computer Audio” section since we don’t want to capture any sound other than your own voice.
Now, click on the “Camera” section and then ensure that “Capture” is selected in the “Camera” section to turn on the webcam. You can also choose the resolution and frame rate that you would like to use.
Step 3: Begin the Recording
Click on “Capture” to begin the recording.
The program will begin a 3-second countdown before the recording begins. You can use the “F10” key on your keyboard to stop the recording and “F9” to pause and resume the recording.
Once the recording is complete, don’t forget to save the video. The best formats to use are MP4, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4.
With the first step out of the way (you now know that you can create a high-quality video), let’s get to perhaps the most important aspect of the video; the content. Keep in mind that the speech you give on the video will be your business card and you may want to adequately prepare the speech in advance. It is therefore not a good idea to just wing it, here; you need to be prepared.
The following are some tips to help write your speech based on what you should say in a self-introduction video;
- Do not be in a hurry to write the speech, instead take as much time as you need to determine what you’re going to say. Remember that you want to put your best attributes forward and it is not a good idea to forget even one.
- While you are thinking of what to say, it is also a good idea to determine how you are going to say it. Think of an interesting way to present your attributes to your prospective employer.
- Since you are creating a video for the purpose of seeking employment, it is always a good idea to include your education and working experience in the video.
- It is also a good idea to include the reasons you thing you would be the right fit for their organization or company. Use language that will tell your prospective employer why you think you are the right fit for the position.
- Be confident when delivering your video’s speech. When the words come out clearly, you sound and look prepared, a factor that can be very advantageous to your prospects.
- Ensure that you also sound as natural as possible when recording the video. Do not try to articulate the language in a different accent or you will stumble all over the words.
- Maintain eye-contact and you can do this very easily by facing the camera at all times and imagining that you are having a face-to-face conversation with one person.
One of the other most important aspects to keep in mind when writing your speech is the duration. The most effective self-introductory videos are those kept below 3 minutes long. Any longer and you risk losing your prospective employer’s attention. So, while planning the speech for the video, take a few practice-runs to ensure that it remains within the 2-3-minute duration.
Once you are done with the preparation of the speech, here’s how to present the information for maximum effect;
- Introduce Yourself
This part of the video should ideally be the shortest since you will only be giving the most relevant information. In the introduction of yourself, you should include your name, age and country of origin. If time permits, you can also mention some of the languages you speak.
- Talk about Your Education
Most employers will want to know your level of education and therefore this is an important component of your introductory video. Mention your level of education and all the degrees that you have and the specialties that you studied.
- Talk about your Experience
This is another very important piece of information for employer, regardless of the position you are applying for and should therefore take up much of the video. Mention some of the relevant companies that you have worked for in the past as this will show your potential employer that you are passionate about your work.
Just like there are some things that must be included in a video resume, there are some things that don’t belong in it. These include the following;
- It is very important to avoid bad-mouthing your previous employer. This will just paint you in bad light and reduce your chances of getting the job,
- Do not include any personal details of your life. Other than your name, age and country of origin, your employer is likely disinterested in any other personal details such as your marital status.
- Don’t use the video resume to replace a written resume. There are some employers who still prefer a written resume and since you are able to out more in a written resume than a video resume, having both will also be beneficial to you.
- It is also important to make sure that you are attired properly for the video interview. Don’t wear something you wouldn’t wear to an in-person job interview and keep the video as professional as possible.
- If you will be posting the video to the internet, don’t forget to set the visibility to “private”.
Self-introductory videos are just one of the tools in your arsenal that you can use in your quest for the perfect job. But they are an important tool since they give your potential employer a clear idea of who you are and what they can expect from you. Therefore, when done correctly, a self-introductory video can significantly improve your chances of getting that dream job.